Thursday, March 11, 2010

AD4J provides surgical improvements

I have talked about AD4J before.  I revisited it after doing some hands-on labs with it at Oracle Open World.  I still think I could use a huge manual of discussions on what to do with all the information they provide.  Maybe that is a class Oracle provides...I don't know.

I do know this...in my basic state of not knowing much about AD4J, I was able to do a default install (there is more to do on this install if you are using SSL, but if not the install takes hardly any time at all), deploy the agent app to my target OC4J container, and do a 60-second monitor of my system which resulted in lots of data.

It also has, right there in front of you, a list of the top 5 or 10 most "expensive" things that were going on while it was monitoring.  During the monitoring session, I was randomly darting about in my app which has been slow.

It gave my pl/sql calls a relatively high rating.  I checked it out...I was making 28 pl/sql calls unnecessarily with each request!!  I corrected this, and now my slow app is quite a bit faster!!  Thank you AD4J!!  (AKA Jade).

No comments: